Saturday, February 19, 2011

In What Store Can I Find A Pink Combination Lock

Little tutorial colorization in Photoshop

In the series " I-me-the-fart-bass-and-I-will-learn-to-t- colorize ", here is a lil tutorial to give an overview of the progress of an artwork. Well, no lie, eh is just one example among many others and I find it hard to explain here all my techniques, since they vary from one job to another. But hey, being myself very fond of this type of exercise on the net, here I deliver small revenue. This is the first time, so if you have questions, go ahead gaily, eh, reviews done for it.
Okay so here is a picture from any beast in pencil. I know there are enough comfortable with a tablet to draw directly on the ground computer. I'm an old fart and I still prefer a good old pencil and a piece of paper, if I lose my senses quickly. In short, once completed, the design in black and white is scanned and "cleaned" by boosting the contrast a bit.

Second step. Large flat areas of color are placed on the stage, brush strokes (the 17 in my version of photoshop). The character is more clear is that he will be exposed. I use the mode "product" to keep the black line below. This is not a technique used for all my illustrations, attention, eh, but this is what I choose.





Third step. I focus on the background. It is worked in volumes, with a light brush in blue. The interest is to bring out details, but not too much (the bottom is not intended to be overexposed). Same volume of work, light at first, on the character and foregrounds.




Fourth step. I "pose" the colors, not too much on the dot, in the same key, and agree among themselves on the purple tunic, red and green for other details. These colors are applied always on mode "product" to have a wash as in classical painting: layers lightweight, almost transparent, stacked, obtained through the variation of the "opacity" of the brush.

Fifth step. I add in the background tones already placed on the character: the green, some purple. These are keys almost transparent, obtained with an opacity of brush very lightly. It is important to me, slipping a few colors identical across the stage. This is unifying the whole. Attention, generally in an illustration '(this is probably the most important advice in this tutorial), not to multiply the colors. In my opinion, keep a palette "narrowed" ...




Sixth step. The main character to be the subject of my attention. I model skin, face and clothes by putting shadows (use darker layers) and, by default, lights. The eye is strengthened (the character's eyes caught the attention of the viewer's image).

last step. Ben you're done ... I applied on the background a transparent layer of dark gray to "erase" a little more detail and to highlight the foreground. The character was treated again to a brown-red shading to better reflect the volumes. A few lighter touches, like the green on the clothes, add some light and enhance contrast.







0 comments:

Post a Comment